10 January, 2008

Great Man's Passing


"I have moderate abilities but I combine these with a good deal of determination and I rather like to succeed," Sir Edmund Hillary, of Everest (1919 - 2008). R.I.P.


I have had the pleasure of meeting several Everest summiters, by virtue of associations in the Seattle area. Probably over a half dozen, and every one of them I called by first name and enjoyed the conviviality of shared bonds. Three are now deceased.

Not that I will summit Everest, but at least I share Sir Edmund's self creed from the quote above.

Do you have a "Mount Everest" that you intend to conquer?

2 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

I read it here first. How sad. The end of an era. I got to interview him once when he started building schools in Napal.

Casey Klahn said...

He'll be well remembered for his wonderful philanthropy. I will remember his Kiwi origins, too.

Truly a brush with greatness for you.

I spoke with Eric Simonson, whose team found Mallory's body on Everest. I asked him, "How was that? Gross?"
His reply; "No, it was very cool!"

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism