18 February, 2008

Riva Ridge

La Ca, Italy
5.25" x 5.25"
Graphite
Casey Klahn

The Portal
4.75" x 4.5"
Graphite
Scene at "Riva Ridge," Italy
Casey Klahn

It was sixty-three years ago tonight, in Italy, that my late father and his cohorts in the Tenth Mountain Division fought at Riva Ridge. It was a seminal battle that became an epic story and started the landslide that undid the Nazi German forces in Northern Italy.

Truly a unique chapter in military history, and one that I heard first hand from my dad.

NBC Report 2006
NPR Report, 2007
Veterans

2 comments:

Kirk Mantay said...

My grandfather was bogged down in the Ardennes at the time...but I visited the site where your father would have trained for his ascent. Feel free to stop by :)

http://rivermud.blogspot.com/2009/06/seneca-rocks-at-monongahela-national.html

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for the visit, ST. I am a former rock climber, myself.

No school like the old school!

Enjoy your summer.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism